Sunday, June 30, 2013

From Stephanie Ny


Dear ILC students,

One of the most important lessons I've learned - and that I learned a little too late - is that you must take every opportunity to participate in internships and other field work. There is currently a discourse about college graduates being overqualified for low-skilled jobs but under qualified for entry-level positions due to lack of experience. I think the key solution to this is internships, through which you receive the chance to sharpen your intellectual and strategic skills while gaining work experience that is necessary for entry-level jobs. I don't know if this is really the case, but to me, it appears to be a very important step that many college students - including myself - often fail to take.

Aside from this, and on a more general note, I'd recommend that you all actually visit the schools you plan on attending before agreeing to enroll. Go at a time during which students are actually present and hanging around. You get a real feel for the school, the student body, and the school spirit. If you don't like the people there, it is likely you won't enjoy yourself! The academics and scenery are important, but visiting a school can finalize (or the opposite!) your decision to attend it.

I'm currently a rising senior at Northwestern University, so if any of you have questions, feel free to e-mail me!

Stephanie Ny
Northwestern ‘14

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These articles and blogs are certainly sufficient for me personally for a day. german tutoring